As a business owner, you’re always looking for new ways to hit your company’s growth goals. With solid marketing strategies in place for plumbers and HVAC professionals, you can expect to expand your reach, attract new customers, and keep existing customers engaged. Here are six ways for you to enhance your existing marketing strategy to maximize your business growth:
- Claim and optimize your Google My Business listing
- Generate reviews from satisfied customers
- Invest in search engine optimization for your website
- Build relationships within the community
- Have a solid social media presence (both organic and paid!)
- Stay top of mind with email marketing
We’ve put together a comprehensive breakdown of these tactics to help you enhance your marketing strategies for plumbers or for your HVAC company.
Optimize Your Google My Business Listing
As a local home services company, it’s critical that your HVAC or plumbing business can be found by your target audience. To do this, you need to increase brand visibility where prospective customers are searching for your services — in most cases, this is on Google! Have you spent time making sure your business is visible in Google’s local pack? If not, you could be missing out on potential leads!
The most effective way to create start with solid marketing strategies for plumbers or for your HVAC company, with a presence on Google, is to claim your Google My Business (GMB) listing. Google’s goal is to provide users with the most accurate search results for their queries. By filling out your profile with all of your business information, including your website URL, hours, address, services, photos, reviews, and more, Google will view you as a reputable business to promote. As a result, you increase the likelihood of being displayed in the Local Pack — one of the most prominent places on the search results page.
Claim your business and begin filling out the requested information. The more detailed you are, the better! However, the information on your Google My Business listing must be consistent with your business details on other online directories and your website. Google rewards those that have a consistent online presence, so your business name, address, and phone must be the same across the Internet.
Generate Reviews from Satisfied Customers
Getting your plumbing or HVAC company to appear in the local pack is only the first piece of the puzzle. Next, you need to find ways to increase click-throughs to phone calls to your business instead of your competitors. But how can you connect with prospective customers before they even reach your website? The answer is simple: reviews.
93% of customers read reviews of local businesses before choosing who to work with. This means it’s incredibly important for you not only to have reviews on your profile but have high-quality reviews that will convince potential customers to work with you. Many customers will choose to leave you a review following your services, but sometimes you may need to step in and ask satisfied customers to share their experience. Here are a few ways for you to generate more positive reviews and stand out from the competition:
- Provide unparalleled and satisfactory plumbing and HVAC service
- Have a team that treats customers with the utmost respect — from your customer service representatives to your technicians
- Make it easy for customers to leave a review by including a link within your email campaigns and on your website
- Ask your customers directly when wrapping up a job
As you begin generating more reviews, don’t forget to respond to them professionally — both the positive and negative reviews! This demonstrates to prospective customers that you value feedback and learn from constructive criticism. Reviews are a must to build solid marketing strategies for plumbers and it will keep business coming if you can get all your customers to leave a comment be for you!
Invest in Search Engine Optimization
To drive consistent business over time, you need a marketing strategy that will continue to bring in potential customers long-term. While paid advertising can bring in leads quickly, the leads will stop coming as soon as you stop running the ads. Search engine optimization (SEO) is a proven strategy to reach customers and drive sales that will continue to bolster results from here on out.
The goal of SEO is to increase your HVAC or plumbing company’s presence on the first page of Google. Without gaining page one rankings, it’s nearly impossible for potential customers to discover your business organically. These search engine optimization best practices can help improve your organic rankings:
- Create service pages – Keep in mind that Google ranks web pages, not websites. This means that the more pages you have on your site, the more opportunities you have to rank on the first page of Google. Take inventory of all the services you plan to offer, from sump pump installation to furnace repair, and create custom content for your website about the service offering.
- Determine your target keywords – Keywords play an important role in SEO. Using various marketing tools like Google Keyword Planner, Google Search Trends, and more, you can discover various keywords you should be targeting within your website content. By focusing on the most searched keywords, you can get your business in front of the right audience.
- Build city-specific service pages – As you build out individual pages for all of your service offerings, you may also want to consider creating city-specific pages as well. Narrow down the top five to ten areas where you want to bring in the majority of your leads. Create pages for each of your main services that are customized to these cities to increase the likelihood of ranking for localized searches.
Build Relationships within the Community
Whether you’re looking to bring in new business or solidify your authority in the local market, building relationships within the community is an absolute must (and an easy way to stand out in a crowded market!). To stay top of mind, you need to find ways to connect with your target audience face-to-face. Here are a few ways you can ensure you’re the go-to company when community members are looking for HVAC or plumbing services:
- Sponsor a recreational or intramural sport team
- Donate and engage with local charities
- Host a booth at local community events
- Create a scholarship fund for the local school district
- Provide free services to a community member in need
- Hold a local food, clothing, or toy drive
While online marketing can get you in front of more customers, face-to-face marketing efforts within the community will go a long way. This brand awareness can’t be bought, and by interacting with individuals and building genuine relationships with them, you’ll be the first company they think of when they need your services.
Have a Social Media Presence & Run Paid Ad Campaigns
Online marketing doesn’t stop at your website — it extends to all facets of your online presence, including social media. Keep in mind that not all social media platforms are created equally. Take the time to consider which platforms are the most popular with your target customer. These are where you should be focusing the majority of your efforts. In most cases, HVAC and plumbing companies find the most success on Facebook.
The most important thing to keep in mind is that consistency is key when it comes to posting on your Facebook page. While you don’t need to post every day, you want to post often enough that anyone visiting your page knows that it is being monitored by a member of your team. Determine the cadence that works best for you and create a content calendar promoting your services, sharing fun facts, highlighting members of your team, and more. The more personal you can make the content, the better! Don’t forget there are helpful tools like Hootsuite or Sprout Social that allow you to schedule out your posts in advance which can help save you time. But if you don’t have access to those tools or you do not how to use them it is ok! Just make an Instagram or Facebook Page and start posting for your customers, special offers, some minor trips & tricks that your customers can appreciate, pictures of you on the job, anything goes as long as it makes sense to your audience! Leveraging social media channels is key to build solid marketing strategies for plumbers.
While organic social media can build a rapport with your existing followers, paid social media ads can attract new customers. With paid Facebook ads, you can target a very narrow group of individuals to get your advertisements directly in front of them. Facebook allows you to narrow down your campaign audience by a variety of attributes, including location, household income, home age, and more. While running paid advertising is an investment, you can likely expect a decent return.
Stay Top of Mind with Email Marketing
Once you’ve attracted a loyal group of customers, it’s important to continue nurturing those relationships to keep them as customers. An effective way to do this is by sending a monthly newsletter to drive engagement to your website and provide your customers with special offers or promotions that are exclusive to them. If spring is your company’s slower season, consider sending out a discount on your HVAC maintenance plans. If winter weather is causing pipes to burst, promote pipe repair and replacement.
While these promotions can also be shared on social media, sending them as an email newsletter ensures they get directly in front of your target audience. Social media is based on an algorithm, so not all of your followers will see your posts — but your email will go directly to each customer’s inbox!
By using these six marketing tactics to create a strategic marketing plan for your HVAC or plumbing company, you can nurture your relationships with existing customers and bring in new leads (and sales!) as well.